You know the most gratifying thing about last night was the fans. Yes it was a sell-out, and I don't know how much Texas Rangers fans contributed to that number, but there was a bit of a buzz, an atmosphere. Things went well for the Astros throughout the night, but I was happy for the people sitting in Minute Maid Park cheering themselves hoarse,
David unpicked last night's game so I won't even attempt to, and a nice little piece (h/t to Astros County for the link), profiling some of those who made it to last night's game. There seemed to be a lot of orange in the stands. People have been snapping those new jerseys up (the Astros were in white last night).
Reaction: From general bewilderment from a Texas Rangers perspective, Rob Neyer had some faintly complimentary things to say about the team, but Greg Rajan is particularly unhappy about the unavailability of CSN Houston to a large part of the Astros catchment area. Though I can't believe many fans are moaning about the low payroll, because actually what's there to spend, and why would you spend it? Fixing the team by spending now (getting a few pieces in a few years to add to the new crop of youngsters coming through may be an option) actually isn't an option with the amount of upgrades this team needs. I'm not down about that, I just accept it as fact. Anyway moving on.
This was one of the best opening day performances in a while:
- in 2012 we lost to the Rockies,
- 2011 was Brett Myers' great start and Brandon Lyon's infamous outing against the Phillies,
- 2010 saw the Astros start 0-8,
- 2009 we lost to the Cubs,
- in 2008 the Padres' Jake Peavy outdueled Roy Oswalt,
- 2007 we got swept by the Pirates to start the season,
- 2006 we actually won, Oswalt outlasting Dontrelle Wilis,
- then 2005 we got beat by a Chris Carpenter gem and a cheap Crawford Boxes home run by Jim Edmonds.
- 2004 was the year we lost the first two to the Giants before Roger Clemens gave us our first win of the season in his Astros debut.
That is one Opening Day win in the last nine seasons. Not great. It helps a season massively when you don't end up in in a pit by the end of the first week. Roll on Tuesday.